Do you have a theme or question you want us to use for a future Five on Friday? Just fill out our suggestion form and we'll do the rest.
Do you have a theme or question you want us to use for a future Five on Friday? Just fill out our suggestion form and we'll do the rest.
Five on Fridays has been MIA for a few weeks and for that, we apologize. We've really been struggling to come up with interesting and relevant questions for you. And that's where FOF needs your help.
What topics do you want to talk about? Anything you've always wanted to know about your blogging friends that we can ferret out of them with a sneaky Friday question? Are there upcoming holidays or events that inspire you? If you have anything, and we mean anything at all, let us have it!
1. Where do you usually celebrate Thanksgiving? Do you host or visit someone
2. How formal or informal is your celebration? Do you dress for dinner?
3. What time do you eat? Do you go more for a brunch/lunch or a dinnertime
4. What traditions do you observe?
5. What are you doing for the Friday after the holiday this year?
1. What types of board games do you like to play, if any?
2. How often do you play board games?
3. What is your absolutely favorite game?
4. Describe your Monopoly strategy.
5. Do you feel that board games are becoming obsolete with the rise in computer and video gaming?
1. Do you experience any seasonal allergies? Are you allergic to anything else?
2. What kinds of symptoms do you experience during your allergic reactions?
3. How do you manage your allergies? (ie: medication, avoidance, alternative therapies, etc)
4. What is the strangest allergy you've ever heard of?
5. How do you feel about school and social policies that banning peanuts and other allergens?
1. How often do you listen to music?
2. Do you ever listen to the radio? What is your favorite station?
3. How do you find new songs, albums, or artists to listen to?
4. When was the last time you bought a CD? A digital music file?
5. Do you think any of the technologies and distribution methods mentioned above will still be around in ten years? Why or why not?
1. What does your body tell you when you get out of bed in the morning?
2. How well do you treat your body? Do you feed and exercise it well? Go for regular check-ups?
3. What part of your body feels strongest?
4. Which is the weakest?
5. If you had to live without the use of one body part for the rest of your life, which would it be? Why?
1. When feel the urge to use the bathroom, do you hold it or go right away?
2. When was the last time you held hands with someone?
3. Do you hold in your emotions or let them out?
4. If you play blackjack or poker, are you more likely to hold or fold on any given hand?
5. In general, can you hold your tongue? When you have a secret? When someone says something you don't agree with?
What are your thoughts on the following food fads? Are they diet gospel or modern quackery? Do you find yourself following any of them?
1. 100 calories
2. Low Carb/Sugar Free
3. Low Fat/Fat Free
4. Trans-Fat Free
5. Whole Grain
1. Other than the official start of spring on the calender, what really signifies the start of spring for you?
2. How severe is your spring cleaning bug this year?
3. What one thing says "spring" to you more than any other?
4. What are your springtime traditions?
5. When do you break out your spring and summer wardrobe? Do you follow the "no white before Easter" rule?
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you read each of these words and why?
1. How often do you get sick with a cold? The flu? Something else?
2. Are you the sort of person who goes to work or school no matter how sick you are or are you willing to stay at home when it gets bad?
3. How do you like to treat a cold? What remedies do you like and why?
4. What do you do to keep from getting sick in the winter?
5. What is your favorite thing to do when you stay home from work or school?
1. Cake or pie?
2. What is your favorite kind of candy?
3. Do you actually like conversation hearts?
4. Would you prefer chocolates or flowers from a loved one?
5. What is the sweetest thing someone has ever done for you?
1. What is your favorite hot beverage?
2. Describe your favorite hot food?
3. What piece of clothing makes you feel warm and snuggly the moment you put it on?
4. Do you warm up your car on cold days? Do you run the heat all the time or just enough to defrost the windows?
5. What is your ideal warm-weather vacation spot?
1. Do you wear sunscreen? Do you use it everyday or just when you're at the beach?
2. How often do you brush your teeth? What about floss and flouride?
3. Do you get at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day?
4. How often do you exercise? What do you do?
5. Do you use a seatbelt every time you get into a car?
1. When is the presidential primary in your area?
2. Do you plan to participate? Have you participated in the past?
3. Do you identify with a single party or do you consider yourself independent? Has that changed over the years?
4. In your opinion, what are the major issues this year's presidential candidates must address? Which is most important to your vote?
5. How do you get your information about candidates at this time of year? What media and messaging impacts your opinion of the candidates the most?
1. Do you make New Year's resolutions or personal goals?
2. Have you ever kept a New Year's resolution? Achieved a personal goal?
3. What things are you always resolving to do but never actually do?
4. Why do you think most people fail to uphold their New Year's resolutions?
5. Share the thing you most want to do this year and describe five steps you will take to make it happen.
1. List five happy memories of 2007.
2. Describe four things you've learned this year.
3. Which three relationships in your life have changed the most this year?
4. Name two new places you went this year.
5. What one thing you've done this year are you most proud of?
1. What foods do you associate with this time of year?
2. Which of them are your favorites? Your least favorites?
3. What traditional (or nontraditional) holiday foods do you make or buy every year?
4. Are you more likely to overindulge or abstain from seasonal treats?
5. With all of the high-calorie temptations at this time of year, how do you manage your diet?
1. Do you commute to work or another place (gym, playgroup, school, etc) on a regular basis? Do you drive, walk, take public transportation, or car pool?
2. How far is your commute and how long does it usually take you to get there?
3. What kind of traffic do you usually deal with during your commute?
4. Do you prefer commuting shorter distances at slower speeds, longer distances at higher speeds, or some mix of the two?
5. What is your commuting nightmare or worry?
1. If you're only as old as you feel, how old are you?
2. What habits, traits, or behaviors to you engage in that might be considered too young for you? Which might be considered a trait of someone older than you?
3. Do you ever wish you were a different age than you are now? Why?
4. Do you deliberately behave or dress a certain way to appear or feel younger than you are? How about older?
5. What is your *real* age?
1. They say elephants never forget. Would you compare your memory to that of an elephant or gnat?
2. What kinds of things do you find it easy to remember?
3. What kinds of things do you find it difficult to remember?
4. How does your short-term memory compare to your long-term memory?
5. How do you commit things to memory? Do you use tricks, songs, images, word associations, or other little mnemonics?
Would you rather...
1: eat nothing but chocolate or go without chocolate for the rest of your life?
2: stub your toe or get a paper cut?
3: write the news or make the news?
4: lose 10 pounds or gain 10 IQ points?
5: wear a costume to work or wear normal clothes to a Halloween party?
1. Do you ever find yourself singing advertising jingles?
2. What are your favorite jingles?
3. Which jingles do you hate to hear?
4. Why do you think jingles are so effective?
5. Are jingles going the way of the dinosaur? Or do you think we're going to be singing them for the next 50 years?
1. Do you feel that you are you a lucky person?
2. Have you ever won a contest, sweepstakes, or raffle?
3. In your opinion, what constitutes a good prize?
4. How often do you enter your name into sweepstakes or raffle drawings?
5. What is the best thing you have ever won? (prize, award, recognition, etc.)
1. What is your favorite color?
2. What colors do you like to decorate with?
3. Is there a color that you absolutely hate?
4. Which colors look best on you?
5. Which colors do you wear most often?
1. Are there any babies in your family or circle of friends?
2. Are you one of those people who use a high-pitched, sing-song voice when talking to babies and small children?
3. If you were standing in line next to a *very* pregnant stranger at the bank or grocery store, what would you say to her?
4. Similarly, what do you say or do near babies in public?
5. When walking through a department store, are you the sort of person who can go by the baby clothes without even a glance or do you have to stop to ooh and ahh?
1. What was your last blood pressure reading?
2. Were you swayed by peer pressure as a teen? How does peer pressure influence you now?
3. Do you perform better or worse when under pressure?
4. How often do you have headaches? What do you do to relieve them?
5. Vanilla Ice sampled Queen's Under Pressure to create his big hit, Ice Ice Baby without giving the original artist proper credit. Have you ever been in a situation where credit was due and not given? How did it make you feel?
1. What do you consider to be your strongest talent?
2. Do you have any other talents that you're particularly fond of?
3. Describe one talent you wish you possessed?
4. How do you display or make use of your talents?
5. What do you think drives so many people to watch and/or participate in talent shows and competitions?
This week's questions were created by Gillian, wannabe snoop and secret-monger.
1. Which do you think reveals more about a person, the contents of their refrigerator or the contents of their purse?
2. When you visit someone's home, what are you most interested in looking at?
3. If you could make it so that one person on earth was physically incapable of telling lies or keeping secrets, celebrities & politicians included, who would you choose?
4. Have you ever spilled the beans on someone else's secret? If so, what was it?
5. Have you ever kept a diary? If so, was it top secret? What did you write about?
1. Have you ever been pulled over? How many times?
2. What are you most likely to be pulled over for? (Speeding? Reckless driving? Expired tags/inspection? Bad signal/headlight?)
3. You're driving along on your merry way when you see a police car. What is your first thought?
4. When you see a cop car, do you hit your brakes or keep your foot on the gas?
5. What's your personal speed limit? How do you determine what it is for any given road?
1. How do you feel about going to the dentist?
2. Describe your worst dental experience.
3. Describe your best dental experience.
4. Do you floss?
5. Would you consider wearing braces as an adult?
1. Are you a dog or cat person?
2. Do you have a dog? Have you ever had a dog?
3. What is your favorite breed of dog?
4. Do you believe that dogs truly are man's best friend?
5. If you could come back to life as a dog, would you? Why or why not?
1. Do you wear a watch?
2. How often do you look at the time, either on a watch or some other timepiece?
3. Would you say you have a good sense of time? In other words, how good are you at estimating how much time has passed?
4. Are you early, punctual, or perpetually late?
5. Do you ever wish your time management skills were different? How?
1. When was the last time you went on vacation (where a vacation means time away from work/school and not at home)?
2. When on vacation, are you more likely to do and see as many things as possible or kick back and watch the world go by?
3. You're visiting a new place. Would you rather go shopping or hit the museums?
4. Where are your favorite vacation spots?
5. Do you have any vacation-specific fears or worries, like a fear of flying or of forgetting your toothbrush?
1. Have you ever worn hand-me-downs? Who did you get them from?
2. Have you ever given hand-me-downs? Who did you give them to?
3. How do you feel about hand-me-downs in general? Do you like the idea of recycling things or does it bother you to have something used?
4. Do you ever visit yard sales? (maybe you call them garage sales, tag sales, junk sales, etc...)
5. If given $25,000 to buy furniture and decorate your home, would you buy new pieces or antiques? Why?
1. What is your first name? How do you feel about it?
2. Do you feel that a name can influence the course of a person's life? Their personality?
3. Can a person's name sway your opinion of them? Why or why not?
4. How do you feel about the current trend toward androgynous first names?
5. Are there any names that speak powerfully to you, whether by association or imagination?
1. Does the rain make you feel blue?
2. Do you find that rain ruins or improves your day?
3. Have you ever danced/splashed/ran in the rain?
4. What do you like to do on rainy days?
5. Do you save for "rainy days"?
1. What situations make you the most bored?
2. What do you do to alleviate boredom?
3. On long car trips, what do you to to keep things fun?
4. On airplanes, what do you bring in your carryon to entertain yourself?
5. Are you the sort of person who complains when feeling bored?
1. What are your favorite kinds of flowers?
2. Do you have any cut flowers in your home or office right now? What kinds?
3. Are you growing/planting any live flowers inside or outside your home? What kinds and where?
4. Which flowers do you associate with specific people, places, or events?
5. When was the last time you were given flowers as a gift?
1. If you're out shopping and hear a baby cry, what's your first thought?
2. Are the passengers in your car required to buckle their seat belts regardless of age?
3. Do you ever feel the need to clean/straighten your loved ones? With your own spit?
4. Some people are described as having "a face only a mother could love." What people or things in your life do you love unconditionally?
5. In what ways are you like your mother? What habits, catch phrases, and tricks have you picked up from her?
If you were throwing an 80s themed slumber party...
1. What movies would you show?
2. What kind of food would you serve?
3. Which childhood friends and crushes would you reminisce about?
4. Which trends and fads would you lament most?
5. What board or card games would you incorporate?
1. Do you curse/swear or otherwise use curse/swear words?
2. Do you substitute faux curse words, like shoot or crap, for the real thing?
3. Which curse words and phrases do you abuse most often?
4. Are you annoyed or pleased when you hear movies, songs, or shows that have been edited to cover or replace inappropriate language?
5. What are your thoughts on the use of curses and swear words in modern society? Is it more or less prevalent than in previous generations? Is it fine or causing irreprable harm to our culture? Do you think we should create (or in some cases keep) laws forbidding cursing?
1. How neat are the clothes you wear? Do you iron? Fold them promptly? Pull them out of the dirty laundry?
2. How do you make your bed? Hospital corners? All over the floor? Or somewhere in between?
3. Do you leave dirty dishes in your dishwasher? In the sink? On the counters? In other rooms?
4. Are your floors clean enough to eat off of or is there an old science experiment growing in the corner?
5. How clean is the outside of your car? How about the inside? Is there junk in your trunk?
Inspired by Ali Edwards's "Life Artist Challenges".
5 everday favorites
3 reasons to get out of bed
2 people you love
1 thing you love about yourself
1. Have you ever taken an art class?
2. Do you draw, paint, or sculpt? What other artistic hobbies/interests do you have?
3. Do you ever attend art shows or other artistic exhibitions?
4. What kinds and styles of art are you drawn to?
5. What kind of art do you actually have in your home?
1. When was the last time you felt at least a little foolish?
2. What is the most zany thing you've done in the name of fun?
3. How well do you recieve practical jokes?
4. Which topics or aspects of life do you feel should be off-limits from jokes?
5. What's the funniest practical joke or prank you've heard about or thought up?
1. Have you been sucked in by American Idol?
2. Do you own any albums or songs by former American Idol contestants?
3. What kinds of contestants do you find yourself rooting for? Who is your favorite this year? Who do you think will win?
4. Which do you enjoy most: the auditions or the finals?
5. If the American Idol auditions came to a city near you, would you go? Why?
1. Are you a fan of soup?
2. What is your favorite kind of soup?
3. Are you a fan of nuts?
4. What is your favorite kind of nut or dish containing nuts?
5. If you had to eliminate either soup or nuts from your diet for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
1. How do you celebrate the arrival of Spring?
2. What other holidays and events do you celebrate or mark in the spring?
3. Do you have an interesting traditions that take place during this time of year?
4. What colors and imagery do you associate with spring?
5. What are you most looking forward to about spring?
1. At your next birthday celebration you can have any flavor, shape, size, and style of cake you want. What do you choose? (bonus: post a photo or link to a photo of your ideal birthday cake)
2. For friends and loved ones: do you buy a birthday cake or bake one for them?
3. Do you prefer sumptuous flavor or incredible decorations?
4. What interesting cake, frosting, and filling combination would you most love to try?
5. Tell us about a school subject or hobby that is a "cake walk" for you.
1. If you accidentally bump into someone, do you say anything?
2. When you get into a disagreement or fight, how often are you the first to apologize?
3. What everyday actions do feel should warrant an apology?
4. Do you apologize for things that aren't your fault?
5. When was the last time you apologized to someone?
1. Name one thing you do everyday.
2. Name two things you wish you could learn.
3. Name three things that remind you of your childhood.
4. Name four things you love to eat but rarely do.
5. Name five things that make you feel good.
Inspired by friday5.org
1. What is your favorited red food?
2. Do you own any red clothing?
3. Name one item you can see right now that is red.
4. Have you ever run a stop sign or red light?
5. Do you ever get so angry that you "see red"?
1. How long does it take you to get ready to leave the house?
2. If you commute to work or a regularly scheduled meeting, how long does it take you to get there?
3. How much time do you spend watching TV or playing video games each day?
4. How much time do you spend preparing/acquiring/eating meals on an average day?
5. How much sleep do you get each day?
1. What inspires you?
2. What blocks your creativity?
3. Do you do anything special to get your creative juices flowing?
4. What time of day do you feel most inspired?
5. How do you like to express your creative energy?
This week's Five was suggested by Pat
1. What are your siblings' names? Are your names related by a theme?
2. What are your pets' names?
3. Do you give pet/nick names to your car (or other large posession)?
4. What meaning does your surname have?
5. If you could name your own country or island, what would you call it?
1. As a child, what was your favorite toy?
2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children?
3. What was your favorite children's game?
4. What kind of play were you most interested in?
5. How well did you share?
1. Do you know how to play poker? Are you any good at it?
2. Have you every played cards or dice for money?
3. How often do you play cards?
4. Do you like to visit casinos? Why or why not?
5. Are you a betting person?
My apologies for the lack of a Five last week -- too many things get overlooked during the busy holiday season.
1. What events shaped your life in 2006?
2. How about you proudest/biggest achievement of the year?
3. Did you keep any of your new year's resolutions?
4. What is your fondest memory of 2006?
5. What are you looking forward to most in the new year?
1. What stresses you out?
2. How well do you cope with stress?
3. What techniques do you use to relieve stress?
4. When was the last time you did something for yourself to relax?
5. What is your favorite comfort food?
1. Which winter holidays do you celebrate, if any? Why?
2. How do you like to celebrate those holidays?
3. What is your favorite holiday carol or song?
4. Tell us about your favorite holiday tradition.
5. If you could change one thing about the holiday season, what would it be?
1. Do you get snow where you live? How much?
2. When was the last time it snowed in your neck of the woods?
3. Tell us about the worst snowfall/blizzard you've been in.
4. What is your favorite thing about snow?
5. Imagine two ideal homes, all things being the same except climate. Do you choose to live the rest of your life somewhere that never sees a snowflake or somewhere that sees a plethora of them every winter? Why?
List five things you are thankful for and tell us why.
1. When is your birthday?
2. When you blow out the candles on your cake, do you make a wish? Have any of them come true?
3. How do you feel about birthdays and birthday celebrations?
4. What has been your favorite birthday gift? What kind of gifts really blow you away?
5. What flavor cake do you prefer?
These great questions are from the folks at The Friday Five LiveJournal community. I thought they were so good that I didn't have the heart to change them.
1. Given a choice, and imagining that money and time were no object, would you rather cook dinner, eat out or order in?
2. What is the most elaborate meal you've ever prepared yourself or purchased at a restaurant?
3. What food do you find yourself making and/or eating way too much?
4. What was your most disastrous cooking/eating out experience?
5. Would you rather cook for someone else or have them cook for you?
Inspired by Xinie's recent poll on holiday card preferences.
1. As a frame of reference, what is your religious affiliation?
2. Do you celebrate Christmas, Hannukah, Yule, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, or any other holidays in late December?
3. Do you send greeting cards related to those holidays? If so, what kinds of imagery and prose do you tend to use?
4. Would you send just one style of card to everyone or would you tailor your cards to each person?
5. What kind of card makes puts you in the holiday spirit when you receive it? Is there any kind that can make that spirit fizzle?
1. What will be on the ballot in your area? Did you know that off the top of your head or did you have to look it up?
2. Is there any particular issue or candidate that will drive you to the polls this year?
3. How may political ads do you see/hear on a daily basis? How have they effected your outlook on the issues and candidates?
4. How much mud slinging is too much in a political campaign?
5. Tell us a little about your political affiliation or leaning.
1. Are you superstitious? Why or why not?
2. What is the strangest or most unusual superstition you've ever heard of?
3. Do you feel lucky?
4. Would you ever plan a major event for the thirteenth day of any month? How about Friday the thirteenth?
5. How does your answer to question 4 change your answer to question 1?
1. What method of shipping do you prefer when receiving a package?
2. Do you know your local delivery person?
3. If you receive a tracking number for a package, how do you use it?
4. What service do you use to send packages?
5. Do you ever send mail-order or Internet purchases back?
1. How often do you usually get sick each year?
2. Which is worse to catch: a cold or the flu?
3. Do you plan to get a flu shot? Why or why not?
4. What are your favorite home remedies for cold and flu symptoms?
5. When you're sick do you take "sick days" or do you force yourself to continue working?
1. Do you recycle?
2. Do you do anything to reduce the amount of waste you and your family produces? How about reducing the amount of resources you use?
3. Do you reuse anything to save money or waste?
4. What is your ecological footprint? Do you think it has changed for the better in the last year?
5. What kind of impact do you feel the "reduce, reuse, recycle" philosphy has on our lives, if any?
1. What do you do for a living?
2. Would you characterize yourself as a hard worker?
3. If you have you ever had someone work for you as a subordinate or have lead a project, do you think you were a good boss? Why or why not?
4. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? Why?
5. What job do you think most prepared your for the working world?
1. Labor Day weekend traditionally marks the end of summer. What will you miss most about summer?
2. What are you most looking forward to this fall?
3. What are your plans for Labor Day weekend?
4. Labor Unions were the driving force behind the creation of Labor Day. How else have they impacted your life?
5. Natural labor or fully medicated labor?
1. When you were a kid, do you do back-to-school shopping?
2. Do you still peruse the back-to-school aisles now that you're grown up?
3. What back-to-school item did you just have to have, only later to find out it wasn't as useful as you thought?
4. What is your favorite TV show about school?
5. What was your favorite and least favorite part of going back to school?
1. How often do your letters/cards come back to you?
2. If you buy something that turns out to be defective or broken, how likely are you to return it to the store or manufacturer?
3. Describe your own personal "return policy" for items you've purchased or received as gifts.
4. When you borrow library books, do you return then on time?
5. What is your opinion on Elvis? Do you think he's really dead?
1. What is the last thing you ate without regret?
2. Who was the last person you talked to?
3. When was your last vacation?
4. When was your last hug and who did you receive it from?
5. What is the last thing most people learn about you?
1. What are your five favorite stores?
2. Is there any store you absolutely hate going to?
3. Do you pay with cash, credit, debit, or something else?
4. Do you prefer to shop in person or online?
5. In the last six months, what single purchase has been the most important to you?
1. How often do you indulge in something sweet?
2. What is your favorite kind of sweet food/beverage?
3. Do you have a preferred sweetener (artificial or natural)?
4. Chocolate or fruity?
5. What is the sweetest thing anyone has done for you?
1. Are you single, in a relationship, married, divorced, seperated, etc?
2. When was the last time you went on a date?
3. Describe your ideal date.
4. Do you think dating has become archaic?
5. What are your feelings on online dating services?
1. Do you know how to swim?
2. Have you ever had swimming lessons? Did they help?
3. When was the last time you went swimming?
4. Can you open your eyes under water? Do you plug your nose before going under? Do you even go under?
5. Your preference: salt water, fresh water, or pool water?
We've all been there. Those gatherings where you don't seem to know anyone well. You're trying to make small talk and that usually means questions. What do you ask? How do you answer?
1. How do you respond when asked "So, what do you do?"
2. What about the classic "Where are you from?"
3. What other questions are you frequently asked at parties and other gatherings and how do you answer them?
4. Are there any questions or topics that make you cringe?
5. What is your strategy for breaking the ice?
According to a recent poll we're an impatient society. But what about you?
1. Where does your patience suffer the most?
2. How long will you wait in a check out line before abandoning your purchases?
3. What is your limit for phone hold times?
4. If they took the same amount of time and got you to the exact same place, would you rather take a congested highway or slow, winding back roads?
5. Have you ever been rude to a fellow customer or a store employee because you've had to wait in line? Have you been the recipient of such behavoir? How do you handle it?
1. One Web site you can't live without.
2. Two sites don't like to admit you visit.
3. Three sites you wish more people knew about.
4. Four great sites for wasting time.
5. Five shopping sites you would love to win shopping sprees for.
1. What characteristics do you think are most important in a father figure?
2. Do you think you are, or will be, a good father? And for the ladies, do you think the men in your lives are, or will be, good fathers? Why?
3. How would you characterize your relationship with your father? What are the challenges, habits, or circumstances that make it unique?
4. What is your fondest memory of your grandfather?
5. Would you ever honor the men in your family by naming your children after them? Why or why not?
Tell me more, tell me more...
1. Did you get very far? What's the farthest away from home you've gone on a summer vacation?
2. Like does he have a car? What car would you like to have for the summer?
3. Was it love at first sight? Have you ever felt love at first sight?
4. Did she put up a fight? What was the last fight you had about?
5. But you don't gotta brag. What accomplishment or talent are you most proud of?
1. What is your favorite day of the week? Why?
2. On what day of the week were you born?
3. On average, how many days a year you spend away from home?
4. Are you the kind of person who always knows what day it is or do you constantly find yourself asking someone else?
5. What five topics would you like to answer questions about on fridays?
1. Do you know anyone who died in service of your country?
2. Memorial Day began as a day to decorate the graves of fallen soldiers. Do you visit or maintain any gravesites?
3. There are some people who believe Memorial Day should be returned to it's original day, May 30, instead of the last Monday of May. What is your preference?
4. After your death, how would you like to be memorialized?
5. What are your plans for this holiday weekend?
1. What was the last book you read?
2. What book(s) are you reading now?
3. Do you have a library card? Do you use it?
4. How do you choose a new book to read?
5. We all had to read books in school. Which was your favorite? Your least favorite? Do you think you would feel differently about them if you read them now?
Thanks to Amy for reminding me to put up a Friday Five and coming up with the questions to boot!
1. Do you do spring cleaning? If so, what do you do?
2. What's the mosted cluttered area/room of your home?
3. How do you split up cleaning duties in your home? Do you have a system? How about a schedule?
4. What are your favorite and least favorite cleaning chores?
5. If you could rid yourself of one household chore forever, what would it be and why?
1. Can you explain the significance of Cinco de Mayo?
2. Do you speak Spanish? How well?
3. Have you ever been to Mexico?
4. If you could commemorate one of the "battles" in your own life, which would it be and why? How would you celebrate?
5. What is your favorite way to enjoy tequila?
1. What is your favorite movie?
2. What is the worst movie you have ever watched?
3. What was the last movie you saw in the theatre?
4. Sugared or salted popcorn? Or maybe butter?
5. Movie theatre or DVD?
1. What are your favorite ethnic/regional cuisines (Italian, Mexican, Thai, etc.)?
2. When visit a restaurant serving that kind of food, what do you generally order?
3. Which ethnic food or dish is your favorite to make yourself?
4. If you could travel to one country or region, just to experience the food, where would you go?
5. Where would you not want to go because of the food?
1. Have you filed your taxes yet?
2. Do you use e-file or the old fashioned paper forms?
3. Do you do your taxes by hand, with the help of computer software, or do you hire an accountant or tax firm?
4. How soon do you do your taxes? Are you a procrastinator or do you do you start them before you even have all of the supporting documents?
5. Imagine you were subjected to a tax law like the Stamp Act of 1765. Would you be willing and able to give up your favorite beverages (coffee, Diet Coke, etc.) and manufactured goods in a boycott like many women did during the American Revolution?
Sandal weather is nigh upon us...
1. Do you wear any footwear that exposes your feet?
3. Have you worn sandals yet this year? Is there a special time when you traditionally break them out?
4. What are your feelings on the increasing popularity of flip flops and their appearance at the White House last summer?
1. Who is your favorite Major League Baseball team? How about your favorite player?
2. Describe your first trip to see a baseball game.
3. Do you plan to watch their season/home opener?
4. Who do you think will be in the World Series this year?
5. What is your favorite baseball-related movie?
I've been (trying) to do the Friday Five for four years now. To honor that, I propose we answer the first Friday Five I ever did from March 22, 2002:
1. What is your favorite time of year?
2. What is it about your favorite season that, well, make it your favorite season?
3. What is your least favorite time of year?
4. Do you do anything to celebrate or recognize the changing of the seasons?
5. What's your favorite thing to do outside?
1. Are you Irish?
2. Are you by any chance wearing green today?
3. What kinds of special things do you do to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
4. Do you believe in luck? How about fate?
5. What would you do if you found a pot of gold?
Thanks for these sweet-smelling questions should be directed to the always scent-sational Amy Marr.
1. Do you wear perfume or cologne?
2. What brand or kind of soap do you use?
3. Do you use anything to scent your home (candles, potpourri, scented oils, etc.)?
4. What's your favorite scent on a member of the gender to which you're attracted?
5. Have you ever tried aromatherapy? If so, describe your experience; if not, do you think it works?
1. Have you written your will?
2. Would you prefer to be burried or cremated? Why?
3. What do you imagine your funeral to be like?
4. What would you like to be remembered for?
5. Do you believe in reincarnation?
1. What do you wear to bed?
2. What side of the bed do you sleep on?
3. Do you sleep on your back, side, or stomach?
4. Describe the bedding on your bed right now. How does it change with the seasons? Are you particular about your pillows or linens?
5. Do you hog the bed, steal covers, or snore?
1. Did you do anything special for Valentine's Day this year? On Tuesday or some other day?
2. What is your favorite Valentine's Day memory?
3. Flowers or chocolate?
4. Do you send Valentines? What kind? To who?
5. Valentine's Day puts jewelry stores in the black. What are your thoughts on the tradition of giving jewelry and the marketing that surrounds it?
1. Do you follow current events? Why?
2. Do you believe that the media is biased? Why or why not?
3. Where do you get most of your news from?
4. Are there any particular news sources that you don't trust?
5. Describe one recent issue in the news that has piqued your interest.
These thought-provoking questions were used in the Friday Five LiveJournal community in December 2005. They were so good that I couldn't bring myself to change them or not offer them to you.
1. What did you want to be when you grew up?
2. Did you follow through? If not, what happened?
3. Is your life turning out the way you thought it would when you were a kid? If not, is it better or worse?
4. Paradoxes aside, if you could time-travel back to when you were 10 years old, what would you tell your 10-year-old self?
5. Do you think the child you were, would like the adult you've become?
1. What is your favorite beverage? Why?
2. Your preference: Tea, coffee, or hot cocoa?
3. Favorite thing to drink in the heat of summer?
4. Worst beverage you've ever tasted?
5. How do you take your water: flavored, bottled, carbonated, or straight from the tap?
1. What is the wallpaper on your computer?
2. What color are the walls in the room you're in right now?
3. Describe some of the wallpapers you have lived with.
4. Would you ever consider using wallpaper to decorate? What would it look like?
5. If you could use anything not specifically intended for walls (no paint, wallpaper, etc) to spruce up your walls, without any nasty consequences, what would you use?
Imagine that you're an all-powerful villain...
1. What is your name?
2. Do you have an alias or secret identity?
3. What are your distinguishing characteristics? (super powers, attire, special skills)
4. What drives you as a villain: who are your enemies? what are your desires? how do you operate?
5. What is your fatal flaw or weakness?
1. What kind of computer do your have?
2. How old is it? Are you happy with it?
3. How many computers are in your household?
4. What is your favorite thing to do on your computer?
5. What is your dream computer?
In the new year...
1. List one person you've lost touch with that you will look up.
2. List two places you want to go.
3. List three habits you want to change.
4. List four things you hope to learn.
5. List five goals you would like to achieve.
Thanks for these spirited questions should be direct to Amy.
1. What holiday(s) do you celebrate at this time of year? When you greet people, what do you say?
2. Are you ready for the holiday(s)? If so, when did you finish preparations? If not, what do you still have left to do?
3. Are you starting new traditions this year? If so, what are they?
4. Are you traveling for the holidays? If so, where?
5. Have you found it harder than usual to get into the holiday spirit this year? Why or why not?
1. How many books do you read per month? How many are for work/school?
2. What is your favorite genre of book (fiction, self-help, etc...)?
3. Do you subscribe to any magazines? Which? Are there any you'd like to subscribe to but haven't?
4. Where do you get your reading materials? Online? Bookstore? Library?
5. List 5 books you recommend people read:
Thanks should go to Amy for this set of revealing questions.
1. How much time do you spend online in a given weekday? What about the weekends?
2. What time(s) of day do you go online? Is it the same every day?
3. When you first get online, what do you do first? What sites do you visit every day?
4. How many online journals/blogs do you read regularly? What are some of your favorites and why?
5. Other than reading e-mails and journals, what else do you do online? (shopping, chatting, research, etc.)
1. Describe your favorite article of clothing? Why is it your favorite?
2. Have you ever done something awful to your hair? What did you do?
3. Confess the worst fashion trend you ever succumbed to.
4. Are there any current or recent fashion trends do you just don't get?
5. If you were nominated by your friends and family to be on What Not to Wear, how would they describe your fashion situation?
1. Did you make a wish list for Santa when you were a kid? Do you still make a list?
2. What would you most like to find under the tree this year?
3. What is the best present you've ever received? Why?
4. What is the worst present you've ever received? Why?
5. Describe your own holiday gift-giving strategy. Do you use a wish lists?
1. If you could rid yourself of either physcial pain or emotional pain for the rest of your life, which would you choose? Why?
2. What was the most painful thing that ever happened to you, physcially?
3. What was the most painful emotional experience you've ever had?
4. Which was worse?
5. Has answering questions 2-4 changed your answer to the first question?
1. What do you typically have for breakfast? And what about on those mornings when you're being bad?
2. What is your favorite cereal?
3. Do you wait patiently for the cereal prize to tumble out of the box or do you start digging the moment the box is opened?
4. What time is your alarm clock set for? When do you actually get out of bed?
5. Do you have any tips or tricks for saving time or preventing stress in the mornings?
1. What brand of shampoo and/or conditioner do you use?
2. How about laundry detergent and fabric softener?
3. Toilet paper?
5. Any other brands you swear by?
(noun) a song or tune that gets stuck in one's mind and repeats as if on a tape; also written ear-worm, ear worm; also called cognitive itch, sticky tune
1. What was your last earworm?
2. Is there a particular song or genre that is more sticky than another for you?
3. How long do yours usually last?
4. How do you get rid of them?
5. Do you feel any guilty pleasure in passing the earworm to someone else?
1. Bullies, preps, stoners, geeks, jocks, drama queens, and more roamed the halls. Where did you fit in? Did your clique have a name?
2. Hot lunch or cold lunch?
3. What did you wear to school? (Go ahead, date yourself here)
4. What extra-curricular activities did you participate in?
5. Who were your best friends? Do you still talk to any of them?
1. Have you been apple picking yet this year?
2. Where do you go to buy or pick your apples?
3. What is your favorite variety of apple?
4. How do you like to eat your apples (fresh, dipped in caramel, baked into a pie, etc)?
5. They say an apple-a-day keeps the doctor away. When was the last time you saw your doctor?
These questions were part of the original Friday Five, from April 2002
1. What's your favorite TV show and why?
2. Who is your favorite television star?
3. What was your favorite TV show as a child?
4. What show do you think should have been cancelled by now?
5. What new show do you hope escapes the axe this season?
1. What are your favorite and least favorite wedding traditions?
2. Wedding Gifts: Do you buy from the registry, find something else, or give money?
3. Are you more likely to slow dance or participate in the chicken dance?
4. If you could marry someone famous, who would it be?
5. If money (and vacation time) were no object, what would your dream wedding be like?
1. Why does history repeat itself?
2. Why are people so fascinated by celebrities?
3. Who is overrated? Who is underrated?
4. Why do so many marriages end in divorce?
5. Will there ever be world peace?
1. What kinds of things are too personal to discuss with others?
2. Is there a person you tell (or at least *can* tell) everything to?
3. Do you keep a diary outside of LJ?
4. Do you know who you are?
5. Who/what can you rely on to never change and always be there?
1. Are you a frequent mover, or do you prefer to stay put?
2. If given the choice, which would you prefer: big house and long commute, or small house and short commute?
3. Do you prefer to do your own repairs and decorating, or hire a professional?
4. Do you prefer a big open living area, or a cozy space?
5. What features are important to you in a home (state-of-the-art kitchen, fireplace, screened-in porch, etc.)?
1. Share a health or beauty tip.
2. Share a travel or transportation tip.
3. Share a shopping tip.
4. Share a tip for an album, movie, TV show, or book that others might not have heard of.
5. Share a tip for a great restaurant that others may not have been to.
Many thanks to the definitely-not-getting-enough-sleep new mama, the lovely Ms. CC, for this week's questions!
1. Are you a back, stomach, or side sleeper? Does it change throughout the night?
2. Do you have any bad sleeping habits (snoring/tooth grinding/talking/walking)?
3. How many hours of sleep do you average per night?
4. Are you a sound sleeper or do you wake up a lot?
5. Are you a "cold" or a "hot" sleeper? (i.e., Do you wear flannel pajamas and bury yourself under mountains of blankets, or do you throw your windows wide open in the middle of winter and complain about the heat?)
1. If you were a Make-A-Wish child, what would you wish for?
2. If you had the chance to learn when (and how) you were going to die, would you take it?
3. Excepting friends and family, what causes and/or beliefs would you be willing to die for?
4. Are there goals you haven't accomplished yet? What's stopping you?
5. If there was a fountain of youth, would you drink from it?
1. Do you consider yourself a good dancer?
2. How often do you go dancing?
3. What is your favorite type of music to dance to?
4. Have you ever hurt yourself (or someone else) dancing?
5. Do you dance when you're alone?
by amymarr & lcmed, guest authors
(NOTE: We've obviously been inspired by the Harry Potter series, but tried to write this so that anyone can participate. There are no spoilers!)
1. Do you believe in magic? Why or why not?
2. Have you ever wished for magical powers? If so, what powers did/do you wish to have?
3. If you could make a love potion, who would you want (or would have wanted, in your past) to use it on?
4. If you could Apparate (that is, instantly appear some place else), where would you like to go, right now?
5. If you had the power to go back in time and change your past, what would you change? Why?
1. Have you ever considered running away?
2. Do you speak a foreign language? Do you have a passport?
3. Right now: do you know which way is east?
4. How do you like to travel: get up and go, or plan it out?
5. Do you ask for directions when you are lost, or do you keep on going?
1. Do you have a theme song?
2. What music do you play when you're angry? Sad? Mellow?
3. What was the last song you listened to?
4. What was the last song or album you purchased?
5. Do you sing along to songs when you're alone?
1. What is your blood type?
2. Do you give blood? Why/why not?
3. Are you listed as an organ donor? Why/why not?
4. Would you donate an organ or other part of your body (ex: bone marrow) while still alive?
5. Would you consider leaving your body to medical science?
1. What is your favorite board game?
2. What card games do you like to play?
3. What is your favorite outdoor game?
4. What is your favorite sport to watch?
5. What is your favorite TV game show?
This subject is very close to my heart, as I do a lot of writing (most of which no one has ever read), some creative and some just stream-of-consciousness. I try to live a writer's life, but it's difficult for me to let go and just dive into a page. Anyway, I find the conditions must be *just right* for me to be even remotely creative.
1. What color ink pen do you like best?
2. Do you prefer lined or unlined paper?
3. Which way do you prefer to read material: printed or on-screen?
4. Which would you rather get: email or snail mail?
5. Is letter-writing a thing of the past?
1. Name one thing you like about your mother, and one thing you dislike.
2. Name one thing you like about your father, and one thing you dislike.
3. Which of the above four felt easiest to answer?
4. Name a trait you inherited from your mother, and one you inherited from your father.
5. Do you get along with your parents?
1. How much of your time do you spend outside?
2. Do you have seasonal allergies?
3. Do you take outdoor-oriented vacations? Day trips?
4. What's your favorite outdoor activity in the summer? Fall? Winter? Spring?
5. Do you always wear sunscreen? Bug repellent? Do you always remember to bring a coat/umbrella/rain boots?
1. Would you rather be alone OR surrounded by enemies for the rest of your life?
2. Are you an early bird OR a night owl?
3. When sick, do you prefer to be pampered OR left alone?
4. Do you believe in the relative OR the absolute truth?
5. Which is worse, the Burning Question OR the Painful Truth?
1. How often do you cook at home?
2. How did you learn to cook?
3. What is a meal that has special meaning to you?
4. What was the last meal you cooked?
5. What is your favorite thing to cook? Least favorite?
1. Describe a dream you have frequently.
2. Describe a nightmare that has haunted you.
3. Has a dream ever affected your conscious decisions (ex: caused you to change careers)?
4. Do you dream in color? In sound?
5. Has a dream ever given you insight into your personality or into a particular problem or issue you were dealing with?
1. Number of jobs you've held.
2. Your biggest raise, by percent.
3. Have you ever quit?
4. Have you ever been fired?
5. Your worst mistake on the job.
1. What is your definition of 'healthy eating'?
2. Do you exercise on a regular basis? What is your favorite form of exercise? Least favorite?
3. Do you take vitamin supplements?
4. Can you tell that your body is getting older? If so, how?
5. Would you call yourself healthy?
1. What TV show have you seen every episode of?
2. What show makes you laugh until you cry?
3. What show do you wish had not been cancelled?
4. What show do you wish WOULD be cancelled?
5. Who is your favorite TV character, either past or present?